“I believe serving the public good is the most noble of all motives.”
Born and raised in Fort Bragg, Dan’s family has lived on the Mendocino Coast for six generations. After college and working a variety of jobs, Dan was inspired to serve his hometown on the city council. He was 28.
Starting in December 1998, Dan and the council worked to erase budget deficits, build up reserves, and rebuild aging infrastructure. Rare among council members, Dan actually co-wrote proposals that brought millions to build sidewalks, rebuild streets and revitalize city parks. Dan even helped secure $3 million to create Fort Bragg’s first ocean view park, Pomo Bluffs Park, providing inspiration for the trails and parklands to be established years later on the former mill site.
In 2012, Dan sought new opportunities to help neighbors in the greater community by running to serve as your 4th District Supervisor.
“As the son of teachers, I know that truthfulness and keeping your word are foundations for lasting success.”
Core values that guide the way Dan interacts with others include honesty, integrity and fairness. Practicing these principles are among the reasons he works so effectively with others, and why he is trusted.
“During the next four years I will continue listening to you, speaking up for you and making positive changes.”
Always accessible, Dan is known as a good listener and as someone who is helpful. He is excellent at research, connecting people with the right person, and working to resolve issues. When you contact Dan, you will be heard and he will do what he can to help.
Dan’s personal interests include most anything related to sustainability, history, food and travel, and spending time with his partner, Julie, and family. In the summer of 2020 Dan is looking forward to building a small, energy-efficient home he designed for the Fort Bragg lot where his grandparents lived for seven decades.
Dan, Your 4th District Supervisor
Dan takes seriously his unique job of representing all 18,000 residents of the 4th District, while serving in the public interest of all 90,000 residents of Mendocino County. In addition to Fort Bragg, Dan works to help every community in the 4th District, from the Coastal communities spanning Russian Gulch to Whale Gulch, to the inland communities of Branscomb, Leggett and Piercy.
As your 4th District Supervisor, Dan has many roles: 1) Dan works to connect you with key people in County government and regional services; 2) Dan works to ensure public agencies, where he has a say, are responsive and efficient in serving you; and 3) Dan works to find practical solutions that bring long-lasting improvements to our communities.
Dan serves on more than 20 boards and committees. In 2019, this work includes:
- Nine different ad hoc committees, pursuing solutions to topics ranging from getting more county services available online to establishing more neighborhood emergency access routes
- Mendocino Council of Governments, planning and building all types of transportation improvements in Mendocino County
- Mendocino Transit Authority, exploring new routes and services
- Mendocino County Employees Retirement Association, managing a $550 million investment portfolio
- Workforce Alliance of the North Bay, bringing improved job training services into Mendocino County
- MendoRecycle, offering services like household hazardous waste pickup in places such as Fort Bragg and Laytonville
- Caspar Transfer Station Coordinating Committee, working in partnership with the City of Fort Bragg
- Sonoma Clean Power, providing electricity from sources with half the carbon footprint of PG&E’s sources, and at a 2% discount
- North Coast Resource Partnership, awarding State grants to water projects like Fort Bragg’s Summer’s Lane Reservoir
Dan’s current term as 4th District Supervisor began in January 2017 and continues through December 2020. He is seeking your support to serve a third term. Mail-in ballots due by March 3.